Wednesday, January 20, 2016

What to Listen to in 2016


2015 was an undeniably great year for music; Grimes, Drake, Sufjan, Miguel, and Carly Rae Jepsen are just a few of the names that come to mind off the top of my head that released albums that were absolutely fire. Fortunately for us, 2016 is shaping up to be just as exciting. Click through the post to find all the albums we can't wait to get our hands on.

Chairlift - Moth

Remember "Bruises," the cutesy, commercial-ready pop song back in 2010? Well, don't judge a synthpop band by its #1 Spotify single. Caroline Polachek, the mastermind behind Chairlift, has a roster of collaborations that include Blood Orange, Holy Ghost, Washed Out, Au Revoir Simone, and, most recently, BEYONCE (she wrote and produced "No Angel"). Chairlift's last album was on repeat for months, and based on the lead single, I expect great things from this one. 
Out January 22 on Columbia Records.

DIIV - Is The Is Are

DIIV is the beachy, shapeshifting solo project of Zachary Cole Smith, who played drums in Beach Fossils for a brief period of time. After a heroin scandal, getting together with Sky Ferreira, and the hugely successful release of "Oshin" in 2012, it's good to see that the new album is finally on the way. Potentially the new soundtrack of the summer? 
Out February 5 on Captured Tracks.

Kanye West - Swish

Need I say more?
 Out February 11 by GOOD Music, Roc-A-Fella Records, and Def Jam Recordings.

School of Seven Bells - SVIIB

At the end of 2013, dream pop/shoegaze band School of Seven Bell's Benjamin Curtis passed away from T-cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma. This album, their first in four years, will feature parts Curtis recorded when he was alive. Based on the single, this album sounds like it will be incredibly beautiful.

Out February 12. 

Sego - Once Was Lost Now Just Hanging Around

Because we all need more 90s-tinged LA slacker rock in our life. I just discovered this band and all I want is to be laying on my front porch drunk in the summertime, shouting "EVERYBODY AT THIS PARTY IS ALREADY OVER IT" along with them. If you're into Pavement and early Beck, you'll like this.


Out March 4 on Dine Alone Records. 

Violent Femmes - We Can Do Anything

Violent Femmes has specialized in teenage angst since the 80s (which are making a big stylistic comeback, if you haven't noticed by now). During the course of their career, they have released eight studio albums and fifteen singles, though they've only released one new album in the last twenty-seven years. Check out the lead single below.

Out March 4 on PIAS America.

Sky Ferreira - Masochism 

I'm going to freak out if this album doesn't come out. Her debut album "Night Time, My Time" was roughly five years in the making, though it was almost entirely written and recorded over a single month. Capitol Records signed her on a million dollar deal at fifteen, assuming they could twist her arm into being the next Britney Spears. Hundreds of failed songs later, they were at a stalemate. In the end, Ferreira used her own money from modeling to write and produce the album her way. The result is a grungy, poppy, angsty album I blast in my car when I feel cool and pissed off. She is one of the most compelling young women in pop right now, and I want more.
Release date TBA.

Blood Orange - Title TBA

I have this running iTunes playlist that I play when a new friend comes over to create the illusion that I'm cool and have good taste, and it features Blood Orange heavily. It's the kind of music that makes you feel like you're drinking expensive gin in a bar that is lit only in red lights while wearing a provocative sequin dress and intelligently discussing the French art scene. Or something.
Release date TBA.

Junior Boys - Big Black Coat

Junior Boys is a Canadian electropop outfit that has been recording music since 1998. Their dark, R&B-tinged 80s groove sounds tighter than ever. Listen below.  
Release date TBA on City Slang.


Releases I Feel Obligated to Mention Since They Are Commercially Successful and Popular
  • Katy Perry
    One time, I had a bad breakup and watched the Katy Perry documentary every day for a week and ever since then, I've really liked her.
  • Frank Ocean
    I won't believe it till I see it.
  • Radiohead
    I won't believe it till I see it.
  • Rihanna - ANTI
    I won't believe it till I see it.
  • Animal Collective - Painting With
    Does anyone care about them anymore? 

What music are you excited for this year? Let us know in the comments!






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

SPEAK YOUR MIND

© LET IT BE YOURS. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig
Subscribe